Cover to Cover

I'm making good progress with Big Teeth, the new artist's book I'm working on. Yesterday I finished hand stitching the front cover, and today I've cut out all the pages and will start on the text of the book after this blog post.

That's not to say it hasn't been a difficult process so far; choosing to render the entire book in hand stitching meant lots of unpicking and re-stitching! But I'm sure the end result will be worth it. Hand stitching a piece just gives it so much more soul.

I chose blue and white faded striped fabric, and sewed the cover with the stripes going vertically, so that the pattern was akin to a tube of toothpaste (such big teeth need a lot of brushing, after all!)








I'm happy with the book thus far, even with its imperfections (which is quite something for me!) I think I'm going to very much enjoy this little project undertaken for the Book Marks exhibition.